I get as giddy as a pig in mud when October rolls around, because it means that I get to spend the month decorating and preparing for Halloween! This year, I decided to re-create a simple DIY I used to do with my mom when I was growing up – pillowcase ghosts.
This has to be the easiest DIY ever, seriously. It took maybe 5 minutes for each ghost… if that! And it’s a great activity to do with kids (or, if you’re me, a cat and a couple of dogs)!
Here’s what you’ll need:
~ White Pillowcases – One for each ghost. I used pillowcases we already had – there’s no need to go out and buy new ones for this, because there’s no sewing or cutting involved.
~ Styrofoam Balls – 6″ diameter.
~ Ribbon – I used two different ribbons – one 1″ glittery black one to tie at the neck, and one 1/4″ solid black one for hanging, but what kind of ribbon you use is up to you.
~ Rhinestone Stickers – Or any kind that you’d like for the eyes (googly eyes would also be cute and work just fine).
~ Safety Pins
~ Damage Free Hanging Hooks – You don’t have to use these, you can always use a nail, but they save your wall from nail holes and they’re easy to remove!
~ Child or Pet Helper – Optional.
1. Start by sliding the styrofoam ball into the corner of the pillowcase, and wrap your hand around the fabric at the base to hold.
2. Tie a bow with the ribbon around the fabric at the base of the styrofoam ball to hold the shape and up the cuteness factor.
3. Stick on the eyes.
4. Measure a ribbon long enough for hanging, then tie one end tightly around the base of a safety pin. Apply the safety pin to the excess of fabric at the top of the ghost’s head – I like to place this in the back so that when the ghost is hanging, all you see is the ribbon rather than the safety pin.
5. Apply the wall hanger to the wall in the place where you would like your ghost to hang, then tie the hanging end of the ribbon to the hook at the length you want your ghost to hang.
6. Admire your handiwork – you are done!
I have to admit something. I know these look more cute than scary, but there have been more than one night that I’ve gone downstairs to get a glass of water fairly late, and ended up being scared to bits because I forgot that I made these.
And I just wanted to add a quick Happy Birthday to my mom today! Love you!